He was exultant, but now had less than eight months to finalize his plans, manufacture the parts and erect the building in time for the Exhibition's opening, which was scheduled for .
Paxton was able to design and build the largest glass structure yet created, from scratch, in less than a year, and complete it on schedule and on budget.
In the event, Paxton's design fulfilled and surpassed all the requirements, and it proved to be vastly faster and cheaper to build than any other form of building of a comparable size.
He was even able to alter the design shortly before building began, adding a high, barrel-vaulted transept across the centre of the building, at 90 degrees to the main gallery, under which he was able to safely enclose several large elm trees that would otherwise have had to be felled - thereby also resolving a controversial issue that had been a major sticking point for the vocal anti-Exhibition lobby.
Paxton's modular, hierarchical design reflected his practical brilliance as a designer and problem-solver.
It incorporated many breakthroughs, offered practical advantages that no conventional building could match and, above all, embodied the spirit of British innovation and industrial might that the Great Exhibition was intended to celebrate.
The geometry of the Crystal Palace was a classic example of the concept of form following manufacturer's limitations- the shape and size of the whole building was directly based around the size of the panes of glass made by the supplier, Chance Brothers of Smethwick.
The nearby residential area was renamed Crystal Palace after the landmark including the park that surrounds the site, home of the Crystal Palace National Sports Centre, which had previously been a football stadium that hosted the FA Cup Final between 18. The park still contains Benjamin Waterhouse Hawkins's Crystal Palace Dinosaurs which date back to 1854.
In 2013 a Chinese developer proposed to re-build the Crystal Palace The Commission in charge of mounting the Great Exhibition was established in January 1850, and it was decided at the outset that the entire project would be funded by public subscription.It has been suggested that the name of the building resulted from a piece penned by the playwright Douglas Jerrold, who in July 1850 wrote in the satirical magazine Punch about the forthcoming Great Exhibition, referring to a "palace of very crystal".After the exhibition, it was decided to relocate the Palace to an area of South London known as Penge Common.It was rebuilt at the top of Penge Peak next to Sydenham Hill, an affluent suburb of large villas.It stood there from 1854 until its destruction by fire in 1936. were founded at the site in 1905 and played at the Cup Final venue in their early years.Opponents of the scheme lobbied strenuously against the use of Hyde Park (and they were strongly supported by The Times).