In his 1942 Album and Memorandum of the Parish of the Two Abbeys – Abbeyshrule (Mainistir Sruthair) and Abbeyderg (Mainistir Dearg) – and of the Two Sineachs – Taghshinny and Taghshinod – and of Carrickedmond’s Glean na h Altora, 1142-1942, Rev.
Father Walsh reported that in 1593 part of the abbey property came into the hands of John Lye, an Englishman who was interpreter for the Dublin Government.
The abbey itself was attacked a second time and partially destroyed when the army of Red Hugh O’Donnell and Hugh Maguire invaded Annaly shortly after Easter of 1595, during the Nine Years’ War (1594-1603).
In 1476 the abbey was burned and Pallas occupied by an Anglo-Norman army from Meath en route to Roscommon, but it was subsequently restored. Although there are few traces of the outlying monastic buildings, the abbey church structure itself survives relatively intact, particularly its slightly later modifications.
During the fifteenth or sixteenth centuries the central dividing arch of the original church interior was completely blocked up, halving its size, and three small barrel-vaulted chambers were built on to the western side of this new wall.
Sir Robert’s grandson, James Dillon, was created ‘Baron Dillon of Kilkenny-West’ (which is actually in County Westmeath) in 1619 and ‘Earl of Roscommon’ in 1622.
A later Earl took the side of James II in 1689 and may have sold the abbey lands in support of the Jacobite cause at that time.
It is situate close on the river, and was called Monaster Fluminis Dei. It is planted in the most fertile land of this county.”).
The abbey later came under the complete control of the O’Farrell chieftains; when Abbot Gilbert died in 1430, Kenan O’Ferrall unlawfully replaced him and took possession of the abbey, and he was still abbot when a monk of St. In 1445 the O’Farrells split Annaly into two rival states, the O’Farrell Bui of Upper Annaly having an important settlement at Pallas, very close to Abbeyshrule.
As they marched they destroyed Longford Castle and any properties held by the English, reputedly leaving the entire area shrouded under a dense cloud of smoke. The Tower, seen circa 1891 and in 2014 Part of the surviving abbey structure was turned into a chapel at some point, with two new walls (still standing today) built inside the former chancel to create a more compact space of less than one quarter of the original church, though still retaining the original East Window.
About 100 feet south of the abbey ruins is a four-storey tower with the remnants of a stone spiral staircase, probably built at around this period, which may have been a private residence. This was likely a Church of Ireland parish chapel, given the proscribed status of the Catholic faith at that time, and as the townlands of Rathsallagh and Ratharney fell within this parish, the Moxhams who first lived there as far back as the 1680s may well have worshipped at this chapel initially. Colden swore that in the 1641 Rebellion he was expelled by the rebels and deprived of clothes, books, ‘household stuff’ and two horses belonging to himself, his wife and his four children, and also of (so far) one year’s worth of church income and tithes, for which he sought government compensation.
Sketches of the East Window, by Lyster and Du Noyer (low-res, to hopefully not infringe any copyright! Lyster was not just an amateur historian but also an amateur artist, as his vestry minute-book from 1848 contains sketches of the abbey ruins looking much as they do today.