After about 1120 it seems to have become an hereditary post.
Over the next hundred years local government would replace the Abbots' Rule, but religious differences would cause bitter divisions in the country.
However, the town had now lost the use of the great library of the abbey, the access to the several hospitals which the monks had run, the grammar school was closed, and the various charities and good works of the monks were suddenly gone.
The word of the monarch now held sway in the Liberty, but the area continued to hold itself somewhat separate from the rest of Suffolk.
This situation continued up until about 1970, and the hereditary Stewardship of the Liberty also continued until that time, although its importance was purely nominal by then.
Unlike many other towns in England at this time, Bury was growing and prospering.
It did this largely independently of the Abbey's decline and eventual closure.
They had been used to being independent men, negotiating their production rates with clothiers, and controlling their own workrates. The clothiers had begun to set up their own weavers with looms, and fixing their pay.
The independent weavers raised a petition against these new practices.
His father was Robert Bacon, of Drinkstone, Esquire and Sheep-reeve to the Abbey of Bury St. In 1540, some of the major local transactions carried out by the Court were as follows: In 1540 Sir Thomas Kytson was still extending his landholdings, and he bought eight of the previously monastic manors in Suffolk.